Soo…The Glades is BACK, Bromley! Its been a full 25 years since we first opened our doors for all of you lovely people, way back in 1991. This had us thinking – what else was going on that year?
Well, we’ve pulled together the top 25 highlights from those glorious 365 days…enjoy!
- 1991 was a year of extremes…there was a LOT of snow
- There were also some pretty extreme fashions. Clash-tastic!
- It was the Chinese year of the goat
- Despite it being the year of the goat, it was a certain blue spiky hedgehog we were all obsessed with – SONIC!
- John Major had just replaced Maggie T as PM
- …and Donald Trump hadn’t even thought about politics yet!
- On the small screen, we were all watching ‘Noel’s House Party’
- …and on the big screen, we were obsessing over the ‘Terminator 2’. Hasta la vista, baby!
- Arnie missed out at the Oscars though – it was Kevin Costner who cleaned up on the night!
- Diana was our major fashion icon
- …and her son, Harry’s rival for ‘most eligible redhead’, Ed Sheeran, was born!
- Tottenham Hotspur beat Nottingham Forest to win the FA Cup
- The sun certainly hadn’t gone down on Elton John – he won the Brit award for ‘Best male’ that year
- …and Lisa Stansfield won the Brit for ‘Best female’ – where’s Lisa now, eh?
- We lost Queen legend Freddie Mercury, and music hasn’t been the same since
- The internet was made available for commercial use, and total users reached 1 million. Compare that to now – users reached 3,424,971,237 at the last count!
- Bomber jackets were having a moment – a trend that we’ve recycled for 2016!
- Will Smith was the freshest prince around…
- …and Kate Moss was the freshest face around! At just 16, she’d just been scouted whilst walking through JFK airport
- We were driving around in a Ford Fiesta, the UK’s most desirable car at the time
- …and whilst driving in our Fiestas, we were all singing Bryan Adams’ hit ‘I do it for you’ – he clung to the number one spot for 16 long weeks!
- Men had finally ditched the mullet (hurrah!) in favour of the ‘caesar’ cut, or the grungy mid-length do
- We accidentally allowed a commoner on a postage stamp with the Queen for the first time ever – good going Harold Blumenthal!
- Mobile phones looked like THIS
And last, but definitely not least…
- THE GLADES WAS OPENED! Woohoo!
Picture credits – 2. Pinterest, 3. Mentalfloss, 5. Ultimateclassicrock, 9. Shopcade, 11. Michaeljacksoncelebrityclothing, 14. Spurspics, 16. Daily mail, 17. Nydailynews, 19. DigitalspyUK, 24. Greenlabel